I decided this afternoon that I’m tired of suffering under the tyranny of my email. Here are the new rules I’m going to try out for a while:
- My email program will only be open when I am actively working with email or away from the office and using email as my communication channel.
- Every email I’ve read that requires no action will get filed in a monthly folder.
- Every email that requires action will be flagged with a color-coded flag.
- At the end of every day I will triage the inbox for rules 2 and 3.
- I will strive for Inbox: Less than 20 at the end of every day.
It’s gotta be better than having 35 red-flagged messages and 127 yellow-flagged ones and 2557 messages in my Inbox, which is what I was just staring at, and which felt utterly unmanageable.
Worth a shot, right?