Much as I appreciate straightforward offers from conferences and organizations asking me to work with them, I hope they also appreciate straightforward terms from those they engage. Here are mine.
My standard speaking terms for North American travel, updated June 2020, are as follows. My standard honorarium for a keynote address is $2000. In addition, I expect to have arrangements made for or to be reimbursed for:
- Round-trip air travel from Ottawa or Montreal to your event
- Mileage compensation between said airport and my home in Potsdam, NY, and transportation between the airport and hotel at the destination
- Minimum 2 nights hotel stay, one the night before I speak and one the night of my speaking engagement
I may consider other terms (either up or down!) if:
- the speaking request is for something requiring more or less travel,
- if the speaking request will require more or less time and preparation than a keynote address,
- if the engagement is SUNY- or New York-related, or directly related to my job responsibilities.
I work as a consultant on request, or respond to RFPs when solicited, for challenges related to organizational structure, strategic planning, needs assessment, and vision development. Deliverables will be developed to meet the unique needs of the client, and my rate of $2000/day applies to consulting work as well. Full fees and agreement will depend on the project and my availability.
I believe that mentoring works best when there is a natural existing relationship between the mentor and mentee, and a specific task to be accomplished. I have not had good experiences with blind date mentoring programs, and am unlikely to agree to more. However, I’m happy to answer specific questions about a personal situation, or offer an opinion about a problem — but my willingness will depend entirely on my available time when you ask! I make no promises.
I also rarely have the time to review individual cover letters and job applications for strangers. Please do not ask.